Bihar and Jharkhand - Food and Recipe
Snacks and Sweets Recipe
For the dough
Basmati rice flour - 1 cup
Water - 1.5 cup
Salt - 1/4 tsp
Ghee - 1/2 tsp
For the filling
Freshly grated coconut - 2 cup
Gud (गुड़, I use Khajoor gud) - 1 cup
Green cardamom powder - 1/2 tsp
Method of Preparation
1. For the filling, heat a kadai and roast grated coconut for a minute.
2. Add gud and break it, so that it melts quickly.
3. Keep stirring the mixture till it dries up a bit, and you get a non sticky filling. Let it cool.
4. To prepare the dough, boil water in a kadai, add salt and ghee.
5. Add rice flour to the boiling water slowly, stirring it continuously, so that there are no lumps.
6. Gather the dough thus formed and knead it thoroughly, with oiled hands. Let cool.
7. Divide the dough into desired number of parts and make smooth balls.
8. Flatten each ball, with hands and fill the coconut-gud mixture.
9. Fold it to make modak like shape. Oil hands so that the dough does not stick to your hands. This would give a smooth surface to the modaks too.
10. Using toothpicks*, press and make the design on these modaks.
11. Steam these modaks in a steamer, lined with a wet muslin cloth for almost 30 minutes or till the covering sets well.
12. Take out the modaks from the steamer and let cool.
13. Serve as a dessert on special occasions.
Notes & Tips
1. *Instead of toothpicks, many people use moulds which are readily available in utensil shops. That way they can get a uniform design.
2. You may like to pour some melted gud on top, while serving, if you like it sweeter.