Sugar - 1 and 1/2 cup
Water - 1 cup
Tamarind (Imli) paste concentrate - 1 tbsp
Salt - 1/4 tsp
Dry ginger powder (Sonth powder) - 1 tsp
Chilli flakes - 1/2 tsp or as desired
Roasted masala powder - 1 tsp*
*(made by dry roasting 1/2 tsp cumin seeds, 1/2 tsp coriander seeds, 1 clove and a 1cm piece of cinnamon, and grinding into coarse powder using mortar-pestle)
Method of Preparation
1. Mix tamarind paste with water, in a saucepan.
2. Add sugar and salt, mix and heat to bring this syrup to boil, stirring continuously.
3. Add dry ginger powder and chilli flakes and keep boiling on medium heat till you get the desired consistency of chutney.
4. Add roasted masala powder, mix and remove from heat.
5. Allow the chutney to cool to room temperature and serve with Samosa, Chaat or Dahi vada.
Notes & Tips