Rohu Fish – 5-6 pcs of a large fish (say 2.5 to 3 kg size)
Salt – as per taste
Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
Onion – 500 gm (finely chopped)
Green chilli – 2-3 or as per taste (chopped)
Mustard seeds – 2 tbsp (ground to fine paste)
Ginger paste – 1 tbsp
Water – ½ cup
Green cardamom – 7-8
Cloves – 10-12
Refined sunflower Oil – 1 tbsp
Ghee – 1 tbsp
Mustard oil (for frying fish) – as required
Method of Preparation
1. Marinate fish with salt and turmeric powder. Keep for 10 minutes.
2. Fry the fish pieces in mustard oil, till reddish brown. Keep aside.
3. Heat refined oil and ghee in a flat bottomed pan and add green cardamoms and cloves.
4. Add onion, green chillies and salt, as per taste, and saute till onion turns translucent.
5. Lower heat, take out half of this and keep aside. Spread the remaining mixture on the bottom of the pan.
6. Place the fish pieces on this in a single layer, and cover them with the remaining onion mixture uniformly.
7. Mix mustard paste, ginger paste and water in a bowl and pour uniformly on top of the onion layer.
8. Cover and simmer till you see oil on the sides.
9. Turn the fish pieces upside down gently, along with onion layers.
10. Cover again and simmer till the excess moisture is absorbed and oil is released.
11. Turn the fish upside down once again. Till now the onion should have become pink (not browned).
12. Remove from heat and serve hot with Roti or Paratha.
Notes & Tips