Potatoes (Aaloo) - 3 medium
Poppy seeds (Posto) - 50 gm
Green chillies - 1 or as desired
Dry Red Chillies - 1 or 2
Kalonji (Mangaraila) - 1/2 tsp
Mustard Oil - 3 tbsp
Salt - 1 tsp or as desired
Water - 1 cup
Method of Preparation
1. Take posto in a grinder and grind it dry.
2. Add green chilly and 2 tbsp water, and grind to a coarse paste. Keep aside.
3. Peel and wash potatoes. Dice them into 1/2" cubes.
4. Heat 1 and 1/2 tbsp oil in a kadai. Crackle mangaraila in it and add whole red chillies.
5. Add potato pieces and saute on high heat for 2-3 minutes.
6. Add salt, mix and add remaining water. Cover and cook for 5 minutes or till potato pieces are almost done.
7. Add the posto paste and mix. Cook covered on low heat, stirring intermittently, till the mixture starts sticking to the bottom of the kadai. Take care not to break the potato pieces.
8. Add the remaining oil on top and switch off the heat.
9. Keep covered for 1 minute. Stir gently and serve hot with plain boiled rice and Urad daal (see recipe
Notes & Tips
1. This is a Bengali dish with liberal use of mustard oil. You will not get the right taste if less oil is used.
2. Posto should be ground preferably on a Sil-Lodha (Sil-Batta), if you have one, as it yields better texture.