Bhindi (Lady’s Finger) – 250 gm
Aaloo (Potato) – 1 medium
Mustard oil – 1 ½ tbsp
Panch Phoran – ¾ tsp
Dry red chilli - 1
Tomato – 1 medium
Garlic – 7-8 cloves
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Chili powder – ½ tsp or as per taste
Salt – as per taste
Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
Water – 1 ½ cup or as desired for the gravy
Method of Preparation
1. Grind tomato, mustard seeds and garlic together in a grinder till fine paste. Add little water if necessary. Let stand.
2. Wash and cut Bhindi in 1 ½ inch pieces.
3. Peel, wash and cut aloo in similar size and shape.
4. Heat ¾ tbsp oil in a kadai and stir fry bhindi and aloo on high flame till coated well with oil and lightly browned. Remove and keep aside.
5. Add the remaining oil in the same kadai and heat. Add panch phoran and red chilli and fry for 10 secs.
6. Add the ground paste and stir till the aroma of garlic comes out. Do not fry too much, otherwise mustard will become bitter.
7. Add chili powder, salt and turmeric powder, and stir well.
8. Add water, mix and let boil.
9. Add the stir fried aloo and bhindi and mix. Let simmer till done and the gravy thickens.
10.Remove from heat and serve hot with rice or roti.
Notes & Tips